How to Decorate with Accessories
Unless you have the talent to put together items that are unrelated with each other, the selections you put in a room must be compatible. To keep the room
united, you want to achieve a sense of harmony. At the same time, you don't want the room to become boring.
Since accessories are so personal and carry the unique "stamp" of the family, they should be chosen wisely. Every room needs to be adequately accessorized,
because accessories are the finishing touches to any decor. Here are some quick tips:
- Browse thru decorating magazines and study the accessories that catch your eye.
- Reflect on the colors, sizes, shapes. Study what makes them work in the room.
- Note: Fine China might look out of place in a casual style, yet fine art might fit right in.
- Notice that most successful rooms have some large accessories, some that are medium in size, and a few that are small.
- Note: A rustic collection will feel out of place in a formal style.
- Add an antique here and there in a contemporary setting to keep boredom out.
- Try to find some way to introduce an element of surprise.
- Keep your colors blending together. Avoid putting in an odd color.
- Books are always a welcomed accessory. You can find great hard bound books at your local store, and even at your used book store.
- Request hard bound books as gifts. Remove the paper jackets when displaying.
- Look for unusual items you already have to display: jewelry, pottery, candles, kimonos, bonnets, hats, sporting equipment, trophies.
- Put plants everywhere: trees, floor plants, table plants.
- Balance the room for color and visual weight.
- Display collections in an organized manner.
- Watch out for scale and proportion. Placement is super important. If you're not sure, hire an interior redesigner to come in and place things for you.
- Don't over do it and create a cluttered room.
- Let the room reflect your own personal style and that of your family.
More Decorating Tips
Decorate with Area Rugs
Decorate Yards with Drama
Replacing Cabinets or Painting Them
The Meaning of Style and Good Taste
Complete List of Free Tips