There are easy ways to contribute to sustainability in our quest for living green in every aspect of our lives. Here are some simple guidelines that can make a big difference in creating a green future.
It's really quite simple: remember the Three Rs: Reduce, Reuse, Recycle. You may have heard this before, but sometimes it helps to be reminded. Here are some quick and easy things you can do in the 3 major areas:
- Take a shower instead of a bath.
- Turn off your lights when you aren't using them. Unplug them if you seldom use them.
- Turn your heat down.
- Turn your air-conditioner off when you're going to be gone for a lengthy period of time.
- Refuse disposable bags at your store. Take your own reusable totes instead.
- Use CFL (compact fluorescent light) bulbs or LED (light-emitting diode) lights.
- Use disposable bags as trash can liners.
- Make a conscious effort to buy reusable containers for storing water and food.
- Don't throw usable things away; give them to someone who will use them. Use Craig's list of free stuff to list what you'll give away.
- Get the recycling guidelines in your area by calling your local waste management and recycling company.
- Properly recycle hazardous materials (pressurized cans, old paints, chemicals). Take them to a recycling center near you.
- Recycle your electronics (computers, cell phones) through proper channels. If they don't work, but could work, there are many places that will take them, repair them, and give to needy people.
Living green is a choice. You may not be able to meet every standard of a living green activist, but do what you can. With everyone doing their part, we will have a positive impact on our world. It's important to future generations.
Quick Links for this Issue||
Get free decorating tips for your home or the homes of your clients. Send a blank email to our List Manager and you'll
be added automatically, but you must CONFIRM your subscription request. A request for confirmation will be sent to the email address you provide. We are a
spam-free site and will never sell, trade or give away your email address to anyone for any purpose.
Decorating Newsletter - Must Confirm
Learn How to Arrange Your Stuff Like
You can save a lot of money in your
decorating by working with what you already own. Using professional placement
techniques, you can literally transform your home overnight without spending a
Arrange Your Stuff
Barbara Jennings is author of 10 decorating books: Decor Secrets Revealed, Rearrange It, Home Staging for Profit, Home Staging for Yourself,
Arrange Your Stuff, Advanced Redesign, Pro Art Consulting, Where There's a Wall - There's a Way, The Art of Hanging Art, Great Parties! Great Homes!
2007-Present Copyright Decorate-Redecorate.Com |