Eliminate Home Odors and Smells: People Smell What You Can't
Don't fret. You don't have the only home in the world that smells. Every house smells. It's just that you may have become used to your smells. But other people can
instantly smell what you can't, so you need to be aware of that and do what you can to eliminate odors and keep them from returning.
But that's easier said than done. Here are some facts:
- The human nose can pick up on 10,000 scents. It can get scents from wet wood, wood smoke, gas leaks, bugs, rarely used linens, mattress pads and so on.
- These are referred to as "occupancy odors". These are a combination of body odors mixed with lifestyle odors.
- There are ways to "mask" these types of odors: Febreze, Glade and Oust, Lysol. But these just mask odors. They don't eliminate them.
- Masking is the covering up of one odor by another odor.
- Air Fresheners are units that neutralize odors instead of masking them - like our Home Staging Santiizer.
- They do work by ionizing the air, however, some can create ozone pollution indoors that can contribute to asthma and allergies. I personally like mine, especially
when I can use it to freshen up the garage where my 5 cats sleep and eliminate at night.
- As good as it is, though, nothing quite beats just opening up the doors and windows and letting in fresh air.
- Give your home a yearly scrub down and inspection and you'll go a long way to eliminating unpleasant odors, especially the ones you can no longer smell yourself.
Quick Links to May Issue
Announcing Our Three Blogs
Our Blogs are where I post (almost daily) news, information, tips, questions and answers, and much, much more. Bookmark the blog addresses and check
back regularly for the latest info.
Barbara Jennings is the West Coast Pioneer in Interior
Redesign and has been in the redesign/home staging market since 1986. She is
author of 9 books on interior decorating subjects and her most recent one,
Home Staging for Profit, is a tutorial for those wanting to start their own
home staging business. For more on that book, please visit:
SUBSCRIBE TO OUR FREE DECORATING NEWSLETTER
You'd love to receive periodic free decorating tips, discounts, notice of special sales, new product announcements sent to your email
automatically ($147.00 value). You want a double opt-in newsletter that you can read at your leisure. You don't like spam, so you're concerned that your
email address will be kept confidential.
To Subscribe, Send Blank Email Here
Confirmation Response is Required when notified by "ListManager" to do so.
Be sure and whitelist our server at "decorating.listserve.us" so our newsletter doesn't get put in your spam mail logs. We hate spam too.
Interior Design Blog
Interior ReDesign Business Blog
Home Staging Business Blog
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED