Home Remodeling Rules
Here are some basic home remodeling rules that will help give you a basic guide so that you don't overdo it and don't get caught in the overspend trap.
- When you've decided to remodel any aspect of your home, add another 25% more time and money to your budget. If you think you'll need to spend $10,000 on a
project, you're likely to spend more like $12,500 instead. If you think it will take 5 weeks to complete, it will likely take 7-7 weeks instead.
- Take careful measurements and do plenty of research on all of the surfaces you plan to use. Test paint colors. Get samples of floor coverings and bring
them home to try out. Get samples of counter top materials, hard flooring surfaces - anything that will be permanent. Bring it home to test it at home and look at
in the space it will occupy. If the samples are small, ask the store for larger ones. Replacing something you just added is super expensive.
- Once you've made the decision on the main components of your remodel, take the time to focus on the small details, such as decorative trims, hardware and the
like. It's the small finishing details that can make your room look spectacular, not just ordinary.
- Expect anything to happen. Things rarely go as planned; mistakes happen; things look different than you expected they would. Roll with the punches. You'll
see that it's an organic process made up of your "vision" and "reality". If you take the time to plan carefully, your reality will stand a better chance of
matching your vision.
- Don't skimp on quality if you can possibly help it. Cheaper products may save you in the short term, but they usually don't hold up to the test of time.
This becomes important if you live in the home for a long time or if you plan to sell down the road.
- Look for a team of professionals to help you achieve your goal. Since you will live with the end results for a long time, don't be shy about voicing your
opinion and making sure you get what you want and what you ordered.
Quick Links to April Issue
SUBSCRIBE TO OUR FREE DECORATING NEWSLETTER
You'd love to receive periodic free decorating tips, discounts, notice of special sales, new product announcements sent to your email
automatically ($147.00 value). You want a double opt-in newsletter that you can read at your leisure. You don't like spam, so you're concerned that your
email address will be kept confidential.
To Subscribe, Send Blank Email Here
Confirmation Response is Required when notified by "ListManager" to do so.
Be sure and whitelist our server at "decorating.listserve.us" so our newsletter doesn't get put in your spam mail logs. We hate spam too.
HOME REMODELING TIPS - REMODEL HOME - TIPS ON REMODELING YOUR HOME - HOW TO REMODEL HOME - INTERIOR REMODELING IDEAS - COSTS OF
REMODELING ROOM - HOME REMODELING - HOME DECORATING
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED