Maintaining Stone Countertops
It takes millions of years to form natural stone like granite, travertine, marble or slate. And it also takes a special kind of maintenance to keep them looking
To prevent damage to your countertops, here are some quick tips:
- Once fabricated, stone countertops become exposed to the environment.
- You must properly maintain the stone to protect against staining, etching or deterioration.
- Use a neutral stone cleaner available at most stone centers or hire a professional stone maintenance company. buy a daily use cleaner. You'll also need a
heavy duty cleaner for quarterly or semi-annual cleaning.
- Remove termite temptations. Since termites like wood, remove any buried stumps, logs, fencing or roots from near your home.
- Avoid exposing them to acidic foods or drinks such as juices, coffee or soda. These beverages can cause etching and staining.
- Countertops should be resealed and polished every 2 to 3 years.
- Pour a small amount of water on the countertop. If the water beads up as it would on a freshly waxed car, the countertop does not need resealing at this time.
If the water lays flat on the countertop, it's time to be resealed. The granite/polymer resurfaced countertops do not need to be resealed ever and you can even
put a hot pan from the stove directly on top of them without fear of damage, according to the manufacturer.
Quick Links to May Issue
Announcing Our Three Blogs
Our Blogs are where I post (almost daily) news, information, tips, questions and answers, and much, much more. Bookmark the blog addresses and check
back regularly for the latest info.
Barbara Jennings is the West Coast Pioneer in Interior
Redesign and has been in the redesign/home staging market since 1986. She is
author of 9 books on interior decorating subjects and her most recent one,
Home Staging for Profit, is a tutorial for those wanting to start their own
home staging business. For more on that book, please visit:
HOME STAGING TRAINING - staging homes TRAINING - INTERIOR REDESIGN TRAINING - ONE DAY DECORATING TRAINING
SUBSCRIBE TO OUR FREE DECORATING NEWSLETTER
You'd love to receive periodic free decorating tips, discounts, notice of special sales, new product announcements sent to your email
automatically ($147.00 value). You want a double opt-in newsletter that you can read at your leisure. You don't like spam, so you're concerned that your
email address will be kept confidential.
To Subscribe, Send Blank Email Here
Confirmation Response is Required when notified by "ListManager" to do so.
Be sure and whitelist our server at "decorating.listserve.us" so our newsletter doesn't get put in your spam mail logs. We hate spam too.
Interior Design Blog
Interior ReDesign Business Blog
Home Staging Business Blog
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED